No account yet? Register
Come back soon!
RSS 1.0
RSS 2.0
Play Like The Pros
VT Sports on YouTube
VTSN Community
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:UVM Cuts Baseball and Softball Teams (1 viewing) (1) Guests
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:UVM Cuts Baseball and Softball Teams
HardCats (User)
You think you Hard? You ain't HardCats!
Starter
graphgraph
User OfflineClick here to see the profile of this user
UVM Cuts Baseball and Softball Teams 1 Month ago Karma: -1  
what do people think about this? i heard there was a big riot about the cuts. if i were one of these scholarship players i would be pissed off to the max yo.

just so we can all honor _base_ball and softball and centennial field:

History of Centennial Field - University of Vermont (1374 words)

Centennial Field in Burlington, Vermont, was created to satisfy a need for better athletic facilities for the University of Vermont, which was founded in 1791, the year Vermont was admitted to the union.

In 1913, Centennial Field was confronted with a problem that occurred in ballparks throughout the country -- its wood bleachers burned to the ground.

Centennial Field's grandstand is currently honored with the distinction of being the oldest complete grandstand structure in use in minor league _base_ball.
Centennial Field : Facilities and Directions : Athletics : University of Vermont (492 words)

Centennial Field, one of the oldest collegiate facilities in the nation.

In addition to hosting UVM athletics for a century, Centennial Field is one of the oldest minor league _base_ball parks in use in the country.

In 1989 Centennial Field was the site of the first two rounds of the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship with UVM drawing a pair of crowds in excess of 5,000 fans.

Report to moderator   LoggedLogged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
HardCats (User)
Starter
graphgraph
Re:UVM Cuts Baseball and Softball Teams 1 Month ago Karma: -1  
what no one gives a shit about uvm _base_ball wow you all suk

kenyon04 (User)
Bench Warmer
graphgraph
Re:UVM Cuts Baseball and Softball Teams 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
uvm destroyed football in 1974 , we cant let them do the same to _base_ball. you cant just cut a tradional all american type sport and get away with it. Hom many state universities have zero D1 football or _base_ball. this just insanity by a poorly run athletic department

uvmtenfan (User)
Bench Warmer
graphgraph
I totally agree, it sucks that we lost _base_ball! Granted it is super costly for VERMONT to have _base_ball, that is the All-American Sport.

I would disagree about the ladies comments, Hockey has been UVM for ages, and I think will be for ages onward as well.

HardCats - I know you write alot of valuable things around here, but ever heard of SPELLCHECK?

djump32 (User)
Role Player
graphgraph
Not sure what the solution is here. Obviously unless money is donated the University will let the programs go.

This is not a good trend.

Preston (Admin)
VT Sports Network - Your Sports Site!
Admin
graph
User Online NowClick here to see the profile of this user
Gender: MaleVermont Sports Network pjungerprestonjungerprestouvmLocation: New York, NYBirthdate: 1978-12-01
Re:UVM Cuts Baseball and Softball Teams 1 Month ago Karma: 10  
If you want to show your support for the efforts to bring back the _base_ball and softball programs, click on the petition link below:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/UVM-Athletics

Want us to cover a team or story? Got a lead? Want to work with Vermont Sports Network and help grow the site? Email me at: [email protected].
Preston (Admin)
VT Sports Network - Your Sports Site!
Admin
graph
User Online NowClick here to see the profile of this user
Gender: MaleVermont Sports Network pjungerprestonjungerprestouvmLocation: New York, NYBirthdate: 1978-12-01
Re:UVM Cuts Baseball and Softball Teams 1 Month ago Karma: 10  
Also you can show your support by purchasing a UVM _base_ball tee shirt (interestingly enough the UVM Bookstore is still trying to monetize on the now defunct team):

http://uvmbookstore.uvm.edu/shop_product_detail.asp?catalog_group_id=MQ&catalog_group_name=Q2xvdGhpbmcgQW5kIEdpZnRz&catalog_id=399&catalog_name=VGVlcyAmIFNoaXJ0cw&pf_id=117555861067&product_name=VmVybW9udCBCYXNlYmFsbCBULVNoaXJ0&type=1&target=shop_product_list.asp

Want us to cover a team or story? Got a lead? Want to work with Vermont Sports Network and help grow the site? Email me at: [email protected].
HardCats (User)
Starter
graphgraph
Re:UVM Cuts Baseball and Softball Teams 1 Month ago Karma: -1  
i signed. alreedy 300 signatures. stupid school didnt think this through much.

catshoopsfan (User)
Season Ticket Holder, Victory Club Member
Role Player
graphgraph
Re:UVM Cuts Baseball and Softball Teams 3 Weeks, 5 Days ago Karma: 0  
There are a few comments I'd like to make on this. First of all I am truly sorry for the students who came to UVM to play _base_ball or softball. UVM is a very good school and has had a very storied _base_ball program. It really does suck to have to transfer schools and teams. With that being said UVM and every other NCAA school is a academic institution FIRST that offers athletic programs. When UVM and virtually every other academic and business organization had to make budgetary cuts because of the very serious financial problems our country is facing, it only makes sense that both academic and non-academic (athletic) areas of the budget are going to be affected. I think the university did make these cuts with a heavy heart after considering any feasible option. Does anyone legitimately think that the University would touch hockey or basketball? Both of those programs are revenue positive to the university. Any cuts to these programs would likely only hurt the budget situation further in the long run. From a business standpoint, if I had to make cuts in my organization, I would look to cut the areas that cost the most money to operate and generate the least amount of revenue. It would seem to me that _base_ball and softball probably fit the bill. It's really basic economics. Yes it sucks that the University is in this situation in the first place, but the financial distress this country is facing is widespread, unexpected and very rare.

keepbaseballalive (User)
Bench Warmer
graphgraph
Re:UVM Cuts Baseball and Softball Teams 3 Weeks, 1 Day ago Karma: 0  
You may be interested in checking out the petition at http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/UVM-Athletics
to see what just short of 2000 other Vermonters and fans of college athletics have to say about this decision. As a matter of fact, the basketball program does not make money: it loses $355K a year. _base_ball 491K in comparison. Only the hockey team has a positive balance at $155K. Womens hockey loses just short of 1 million. Track and Field~800K; Lacrosse >1 million; Field Hockey nearly 500K; Soccer >1.2 million; Skiing >770K; Swimming~400K. The ugly truth is that _base_ball and softball were made sacrifical lambs for an athletic department that is mismanaged and didn't have the courage to think thru a sensible across the board modest cut that could preserve all sports and the promises made to the athletes that committed to the school. Parties not interested in seeing their sport next on the block to protect lacrosse, the AD's "sport of the future," should get involved in protesting this decision, trying to reverse it and demanding accountability. When is the last time you heard someone say, "It's Spring! I can't wait to get to my first lacrosse game." There is a lot rotten behind this decision and this adminstration that there is not space to tell here. Stay tuned for a press release and press conference to reveal more.

Go to top Post Reply